Previous Project | Next Project | Back to Project Type
3,219 square feet - Architectural and interior design services for a grocery market at The Tower at PNC Plaza
The Corner Mercantile project's design concept is a modern depiction of the traditional store that may have stood at this location a century ago. The "corner grocery" is juxtaposed with the modern tower that houses this street level retail. Part restaurant and part retail, the Corner Mercantile's interior details and finishes reverberate a nostalgic vibe, combined with a warm, authentic and refined simplicity.
Features of the retail space include:
• Full service coffee bar, featuring fresh baked goods
• Display cases showcasing gourmet prepared foods
• Carving station for rotisserie meats, which are hand carved for made-to-order sandwiches
• Heated and refrigerated displays for "To Go" food
• Variety of seating options, including traditional table seating and countertop/stools at the perimeter of the store
• Back of house kitchen area
The artwork for the Corner Mercantile was designed by a local Pittsburgh artist utilizing the original pieces of the terra cotta facades from two buildings that were formerly located on this site. The terra cotta was cut and then reshaped into new art, which is called "Earth, Water, Fire and Air".